|Introduction & Vision from the Brinkmann Constructors Proposal|
|In order to appropriately respond to the development of the Wirth property, I think it is important that we understand the history of this property. What it has provided to the community over the last 130 years. This property in 1886 was at the center of a small farming community known as Altheim, Missouri. One of the closest buildings to the North was the post office housed in the Oge Log Cabin that has recently been reconstructed at Drace Park. Close to this site was the Altheim Inn and Fette Tavern, which served as a gathering place for farmers.
In 1890, a mere four years later, the Wirths constructed their blacksmith shop on this property. From that time to the early 1930s, this also served as a gathering place within the community. One could say all of these buildings were the "computers" in the late 1800s, as all of the information available came into them, and all of the information available left them.
It has been said that the closest building to the East was at Price Road and was known as Busch's Grove. St. Louis has a rich history of Groves. In the early 1900s, there were a series of Groves up and down many of the East and West roads in St. Louis. There was a Chesterfield Grove located just adjacent to what is known as Annie Gunn's, and a Schaeffer's Grove just across the street from Chesterfield Elementary School. We also had Tower Grove, which later evolved into the city park. These Groves were the gathering places where farmers gathered for community dances and often held their town meetings. It was a social place on Saturday nights where you might find a guitar and fiddle player along with a cow trough of beer.
It is in this spirit that we suggest that the Wirth property be labeled as a Grove. We would suggest names such as Altheim Grove, Wirth Grove or Town & Country Grove (Brinkmann Constructors technical proposal, p.4).